Vegan Banana Bread
- 3 large black bananas
- 75ml vegetable oil or sunflower oil, plus extra for the tin
- 100g brown sugar
- 225g plain flour (or use self-raising flour and reduce the baking powder to 2 heaped tsp)
- 3 heaped tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
- 50g dried fruit or nuts (optional)
- STEP 1 Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mash 3 large black peeled bananas with a fork, then mix well with 75g vegetable or sunflower oil and 100g brown sugar.
- STEP 2 Add 225g plain flour, 3 heaped tsp baking powder, and 3 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice, and combine well. Add 50g dried fruit or nuts, if using.
- STEP 3 Bake in an oiled, lined 2lb loaf tin for 20 minutes. Check and cover with foil if the cake is browning.
- STEP 4 Bake for another 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- STEP 5 Allow cooling a little before slicing. It’s delicious freshly baked, but develops a lovely gooey quality the day after.
Questions & Answers
Can I add frozen fruit to my mix?
We have tried and this resulted in the bread to lack structure as the baking time took considerably longer and the overall bread was extremely wet inside, so we would not recommend this.
Do I have to use a loaf tin?
A loaf tin is a great investment because it is easy to clean after use and the heat distribution along the tin is also great. Our baking time was reduced by about 5 minutes, compared to other tins and we got an even bake so our bread tasted even better no matter which piece you had! We would therefore recommend a loaf tin!
Is it better to allow the bread to rest once removing it from the oven?
Well, this depends… some members of our Vegan Bake-House team enjoyed the bread straight out of the oven with a great helping of butter. We would say if you want a firmer inside and a crisper outside then hold out for 5-10 minutes after removing from the oven, but if you want a warm, soft bread then dig right in!
If you decide to try out this recipe and believe us it is definitely worth it, then tag us on IG: @veganbake_house for a chance to feature on our page! We love to see what amazing vegan food dishes you create so #letsgetcooking!
Visit their website: Vegan Bake House